- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Mutti Tomato Paste Double Concentrated
- 400 g can Mutti ‘Polpa’ Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 x 400 g cans brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian dried herbs
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 cup green peas
- 1.2 kg potatoes peeled and chopped
- 60 g butter, chopped
- 2/3 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 100 g tasty cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 200C. Heat oil in a large deep-sided frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste, polpa, lentils, stock, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and brown sugar and stir to combine.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until very thick and the carrots are tender. Stir in peas. Spoon the lentil mixture into an 8 cup capacity (6cm deep) oven proof dish.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes into a large saucepan; cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until tender. Drain potatoes and return to the pan.
- Mash with a potato masher. Add butter and milk and place over a low heat. Beat with a wooden spoon until creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the potato on top of the lentil mixture; spread to the edges and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until top is golden.
- Tip: Add chopped capsicum in place of celery.
Get them from all leading supermarkets