2- 3 People
- 1 baguette, cut on diagonally into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 large yellow onions, peeled and sliced thinly into semicircles
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt1 tablespoon basil leaves
- 3 oz. Frico Gouda cheesea
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- Place baguette slices on a baking sheet and brush with about 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- For the onions, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until softened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar. Cover and cook until the onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1⁄4 cup water, cover the pan again and cook until the onions are deep golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar, salt, sage and an additional 1⁄4 cup water. Cover the pan and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Top up each baguette slice with some shredded gouda cheese and then add caramelized onions and sprinkle some basil leaves.
- Place in oven and bake until cheese is beginning to melt, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve.
Get them from all leading supermarkets