- kosher salt
- 10 oz penne pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus additional if needed
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and diced (about 6+1/2 cups)
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced lengthwise (about 4+1/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed (15 oz.)
- 1 cans Mutti® Finely Chopped Tomatoes (14 oz., Polpa)freshly ground black pepper
- 3 oz crumbled ricotta salata (about 1 cup)
- basil leaves for garnish
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil. Cook the penne according to package directions until al dente. Save ½ cup of the pasta water. Drain the penne, return to the pot, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally until it begins to soften, adding more oil if necessary, to prevent sticking, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the onions, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until they begin to soften, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chick peas, tomatoes, ¼ cup of the pasta water, 1 tsp. salt and ½ tsp. pepper and cook until just heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture to the pot with the penne and toss until well combined. Add the remaining 1/2 cup pasta water if the mixture is too thick. Adjust the seasoning.
Divide the penne mixture among serving bowls. Top with the crumbled ricotta salata and basil and serve.
Get them from all leading supermarkets