- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 can Mutti® Finely Chopped Tomatoes (14 oz., Polpa)
- 2 lbs fresh mussels, scrubbed clean with beards removed
- chopped fresh parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepot over medium-high heat. Add shallots, garlic and red pepper and cook for about 5 minutes or until shallots are golden, stirring frequently. Stir in white wine and cook about 3 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in Mutti® Finely Chopped Tomatoes, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer partially covered about 20 minutes or until thickened slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Add mussels to the pot and stir gently to distribute them evenly within the sauce. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Gently shake the pan a couple of times during cooking, without removing the cover, to redistribute the mussels. After 5 minutes, remove the cover from the pan to check the mussels. Most should be open. If some remain closed, cover and cook for an additional 2 minutes. At this time, if any mussels are still closed, discard them.
- Arrange mussels in shallow serving bowls and ladle sauce over them. Serve with crusty bread or over hot cooked pasta. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Get them from all leading supermarkets