- 2 large onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus a drizzle for the steak)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 lb piece steak (sirloin steak)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch black pepper (to taste)
- 1 small loaf of bread
- 1 tablespoon grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 slices Frico Maasdam cheese
- 2 tablespoons pickled cucumber
- 2 handfuls arugula
- To prepare the caramelized onions, chop the white onions into half circles. Add a pinch of salt. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and cook onions on a very low heat until soft (about 15 minutes). Add sugar and balsamic vinegar and let it caramelize for another 15 minutes until sticky and nicely browned. Keep an eye on the onions for the whole 30 minutes and stir occasionally. Set aside.
- Rub the steak with salt and pepper and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Heat a frying pan to high heat and place the steak in the middle of the pan. Cook for 3 minutes for rare, 5 minutes for medium and 8-9 minutes for well done. Remove from pan and let it rest on a chopping board for a few minutes.
- Open the bread. Spread the lower layer with mustard and mayonnaise. Add Frico Masdaam cheese slices (cut into triangles). Arrange pickles on top. Add 2 handfuls of arugula.
- Slice the steak into strips. Arrange the steak and its juices in the sandwich and finish it off with the caramelized onions. Add the upper bread layer on top and press gently. Cut in half and serve with French fries.
Get them from all leading supermarkets